- ART HISTORY 1: This very popular group covers European art after the Renaissance. The group meets 10am to 12pm on second and fourth Wednesdays.
- ART HISTORY 2: This equally popular group covers High Renaissance and Baroque. The group meets 10am to 12pm on first and third Wednesdays.
- ASTRONOMY: The night sky opens up to show things we may have only dreamed of! The group meets at the Planetarium from 1.30pm to 3.30pm on the Thursday following the second Wednesday of each month.
- BOOK DISCUSSION: Meeting on the afternoon of the fourth Wednesday of every month, in the Hastings Library, the group discusses a wide range of books of interest.
- CHINESE CULTURE: This group studies the history, art, cultural diversity, customs and ethnicities of past and present-day China. Group members choose areas to study and present at our meetings. We meet in members’ homes on the third Tuesday afternoon of each month.
- CLASSICAL MUSIC: The group listens to the music of a variety of composers, based on video recordings and learns about different styles and how music progressed. Meets second Tuesday afternoon of each month.
- COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD: This group looks at countries in depth, aspects of their people, history, culture, language, religions, food, geographical features and their place in the world. Meets 2pm to 4pm second Thursday afternoon of each month.
- CYCLE FUN: This group will hit the cycle-ways around Hawke’s Bay in the mornings of the first and third Wednesday each month, weather permitting! This is an opportunity for people who want to cycle for fun and will not suit serious cyclists or keep-fit fanatics!
- DANCE AND BALLET: A group that will appeal to lovers of ballet and other performed dance. Meeting in the afternoons of the third Wednesday each month to watch DVDs of ballet and other dance.
- DISCUSSION GROUP: “The old proofs for the existence of God: Are they still valid in the light of modern science?” Meeting fortnightly on Wednesday mornings at the convener’s home.
- EXCELLENT VIDEO DOCUMENTARIES: The objectives of the group are to view video documentaries which are considered to have excellent and interesting content, as well as containing informative and sometimes unusual data. The group meets at 1.30pm on the first Wednesday afternoon of each month.
- EXPLORING POETRY: The members of this group will immerse themselves in discovering the delights of reading (and writing) poetry – all kinds of poetry, from the sonnets of Shakespeare to the doggerel some of us write for amusement. We will meet at Summerset in the Orchard on the third Friday morning of each month.
- GREENFINGERS: Meeting on the first Tuesday morning each month, the group shares gardening tips, exchanges ideas (and plants), visits gardens, and listens to talks on how the experts do things.
- HEADS OF STATE: All members of this group contribute to presenting factual accounts of the lives of the Heads of State who have been stars – or blots – on world history. Having studied all the US Presidents, we then started on the leaders of post-revolution Russia. This year we’ll pick up with Leonid Brezhnev and decide what to do next when we’re done with Vladimir Putin. In case this sounds awfully boring, let me add that our researching team members uncover many incidental facts that entertain as well as enrich our knowledge. The group meets from 2pm to 4pm on the second Friday of each month at Summerset in the Orchard.
- HISTORICAL AMBLERS: This friendly group meets on the fourth Thursday afternoon of each month (weather permitting), to walk to places of historical interest in Hastings, Napier and Central Hawke’s Bay.
- ITALIAN: Members learn Italian language and culture. Group meets first and third Friday mornings of the month. Although the group is currently full, a waiting list is available.
- LIVING LANGUAGE – NEW WORDS: A group which will activate your reading knowledge and increase your word power. As a member of the group, if you see a word and do not know its meaning, you write it down in your notebook, look up its meaning in a good dictionary (NOT Wikipedia) and add the meaning into your notebook. Try to have 2-3 words each month. When the group meets, on the second Monday morning of each month, after a morning tea a) each member reads out their new words to see if others know the meanings, thus expanding everyone’s vocabulary (for example, what is a Quahog?). Then b) members share their interpretive reactions to a single word or phrase which has been given at the end of the previous meeting (examples: ‘FIRST’ and ‘TELEGRAPH POLES’).
- LUNCH GROUP TUESDAY: The group meets on fourth Tuesday each month, to have lunch at a different restaurant each time.
- LUNCH GROUP WEDNESDAY: The group meets on third Wednesday each month, to have lunch at a different restaurant each time.
- MAHJONG: This group meets every Wednesday morning in the Hastings Library.
- METEOROLOGY: This group meets from 2pm to 3.30pm on the fourth Thursday of each month in the former Art Gallery at the Hastings Library.
- OPERA ON VIDEO: On the second Thursday afternoon each month this group meets to watch DVDs of operas.
- OUR STORY: HISTORY OF THE 20th CENTURY: The story of our times. Group members will be required to research and present from world history. Meets the first Monday afternoon in the month.
- PETANQUE: The group will meet every Thursday morning at Summerset in the Orchard to play petanque; tuition will be given.
- PETANQUE AT TWILIGHT: Played every Monday evening at Summerset in the Orchard. Starting time varies between 4pm and 6.30 pm depending on daylight.
- QUIZ TIME: Meeting on the third Monday afternoon of the month, members spend an enjoyable couple of hours offering answers to questions prepared by the other members of the group. Members prepare and deliver 10 (or so) general knowledge questions each month during the year.
- RUMMIKUB: Members meet to play Rummikub at the Hastings Library on first and third Friday mornings of each month.
- SOCIAL HISTORY: In this course, members research and discuss how people lived at a particular time. Meetings are in the mornings of the first and third Wednesdays each month.
- THE WORLD OF FOOD AND DRINK: This group will research and discuss food and drink from countries around the world, also looking at the indigenous foods of those countries. We will share the way these foods are grown and harvested, methods of cooking, and preparation of the foods for distribution and export and we will compare the way different cultures do this. The development of the wine culture around the world, where the vines have travelled and the growth of aerated drinks are other topics that may be considered for discussion. The group meets 1.30pm to 3.30pm on the first Thursday afternoon in the month.
- TRAVEL 1: This very sociable group meets on the second and fourth Thursday mornings to hear accounts of travel to various countries and to get travel advice.
- WORD GAMES AND BRAIN GAMES: Meeting at 1.30pm on the first Tuesday each month at Summerset in the Orchard. Brains are stimulated by the puzzles and games, while word power is increased.
- WRITING: Through in-meeting exercises and homework, members stretch themselves in factual and creative writing, using both prose and poetry. At the second and fourth Friday morning meetings, members are encouraged and helped by group interaction.
Daily Group Schedule 2019
|Monday||Our Story: History of the 20th Century|
|Tuesday||Greenfingers||Word Games and Brain Games|
|Wednesday||Art History 2 |
|Excellent Videos and Documentaries|
|Thursday||Petanque||The World of Food & Drink|
|Monday||Living Language||Twilight Petanque|
|Tuesday||Classical Music on Video|
|Wednesday||Art History 1|
|Opera on Video|
Countries of the World
Astronomy (if following 2nd Wednesday)
|Friday||Writing||Heads of State|
|Wednesday||Art History 2 |
Wednesday Lunch Group
|Dance and Ballet|
|Thursday||Petanque||Astronomy (if following 2nd Wednesday)|
|Tuesday||Tuesday Lunch Group|
|Wednesday||Art History 1|
|Thursday||Travel 1 |
|Historical Amblers |